City of Peoria Springdale Cemetery Management Authority met June 20.
City of Peoria Springdale Cemetery Management Authority met July 20.
Here is the agenda provided by the Authority:
Authority Members Present for Roll Call: Linda Daley
Becky Doubleday Pat Powers Garth Madison Bob Manning, Chairman Matt Ryan Jim Stuttle, Treasurer
Absent from Roll Call: Connie Frank
Steve Kerr, Vice Chairman
Also In Attendance: Mark Matuszak, General Manager
Monica Jones, Staff Interested Citizens
Chairman Manning called the meeting to order at 4:05 p.m. in the Springdale Cemetery meeting room in the Volunteer and Maintenance Building on Tuesday, May 16, 2017. A roll call of Authority members was taken and Chairman Manning announced there was a quorum. Chairman Manning asked all in attendance to please stand and join in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.
Approval Of May 16, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes: Mr. Stuttle made a motion to approve the minutes of the May 16, 2017 regular meeting. Ms. Doubleday seconded. Motion passed by unanimous voice vote.
Public Comment: Pat Lewis, 11039 N. Tall Oaks Lane, Peoria, IL, commented on the Springdale website, use and process of the Springdale credit card and expense reimbursement, and employment of the part-time accountant/bookkeeper.
General Manager’s Report: Mark Matuszak distributed his report (which is attached hereto and made a part of these Minutes) and answered questions from the Authority.
• Burials for the month - 12 total - 6 full/6 cremains.
• Records preservation: I have informed Fred Stuber of some additional options and will address the issue with him soon.
• The mausoleum crypt project continues to move forward and have discovered an additional eight crypts in the lower level that are vacant. We are going to mark vacant crypts so we can easily identify what is available for sale.
• Spoke with a family and learned of a donation opportunity to donate two crypts to the Foundation.
• Budgeted salary increases were effective as of June 11. Employee reviews will be conducted in the near future.
• Delinquent accounts: we have discovered approximately $6,300 in delinquent accounts. We are tracking the five delinquent accounts down to make a determination of default. I will contact the City Attorney to be sure of all the legalities are being met.
• D.A.R. did a marking on Prospect Hill.
• Entry area has been seeded and grass is growing.
• Dedication of the new front entrance is now August 4, in conjunction with the 163rd anniversary of building Springdale.
• Contact has been made with the City to assist us with the structural difficulties within the cemetery. The Director of Public Works sent out a pumping truck and did a close examination of the drainage issues within the cemetery. Whispering Woods Pet Cemetery entrance condition is not accessible without repairs. Mt. Hope and Chapel Hill area roads also need repairs made.
• Damage to the sewer system by the cell tower folks. We paid to have it fixed – over $5,800 – the cell tower contractor has been in touch and they will reimburse us.
• The last private mausoleum door (of four) has been painted by Don Kettleborough. There are additional private mausoleums in the cemetery but they are owned by families in the area.
• Some marble has been damaged by the rear door of the main mausoleum and Don Kettleborough has agreed to do some repair painting on the marble.
• We received a letter from the Illinois Nature Preseserves Commission regarding their position on our Prairie Garden Scattering Area. We need to develop the scattering area into a sellable piece of property within the cemetery.
• The County Coroner has approached the cemetery and inquired about our assistance with a final resting place for approximately 20 unclaimed containers of cremains. I will meet with him to discuss pricing on such a project. On this same subject.a local funeral director has contacted me about doing the same with unclaimed remains that are in their possession.
• Student visit planned this week to volunteer to rake and pick up debris.
• Memorial Day event was well attended and a huge success. Hats off to Bruce Brown for his assistance with the event.
• Presentations have been made at the Landmark Foundation and Downtown Rotary.
• The new entrance dedication is now scheduled for Friday, August 4, 2017.
• The new pick-up truck is being wrapped with billboard-type graphics.
• We have been contacted by the Park District and learned that they ran a fiber optic line along Route 150.
Mr. Stuttle expressed his concern about the scattering garden and the possible perception of this being a charity event. There is the possibility of making concessions in the pricing for the County but not for a private funeral home. Mr. Stuttle suggested a name plaque should be included. Mr. Matuszak suggested a discounted scattering fee could be considered with the purchase of a marker/paver. We need to give families an option for a final resting place for their loved ones’ cremated remains that they might be keeping at home because of the disposition expense involved. Mr. Matuszak would like the Authority’s blessing to go ahead with this project. Mr. Matuszak will develop this idea further and report back.
Report Of Officers:
Treasurer’s Report: Mr. Stuttle reported on checks written in May and reviewed the financial reports with the Authority.
Approval Of Checks Written: Ms. Daley made a motion to receive and file the May, 2017 check register and checks written in the amount of $19,631.76. Ms. Doubleday seconded. Motion passed by unanimous voice vote.
Approval Of Financial Report: Ms. Daley made a motion to receive and file the May 2017 financial statements. Ms. Doubleday seconded. Motion passed by unanimous voice vote.
Report Of Committee Chairs:
Investment/Finance: No report.
Monument Restoration: No report.
Historic Preservation Foundation: Ms. Powers reported the Peoria Historic Preservation Commission will review the application to restore the Bastow Petherbridge steps.
Unfinished Business: Mr. Stuttle reported as of May 31, Steve Cantrell has entered 52,631 entries into Find-a-Grave and 75% of those now have photographs.
New Business: Ms. Powers presented the following slate of Officers for the 2017/2018 fiscal year:
Chairman Steve Kerr Vice Chairman Bob Manning Treasurer Jim Stuttle Secretary Garth Madison
Chairman Manning opened the floor for additional nominates. He made three calls for additional nominations from the floor. Hearing none, Chairman Manning requested a motion to close nominations.
Approval To Close Nominations: A motion was made by Ms. Powers to close the nominations for Officers of the Springdale Cemetery Management Authority for the 2017/2018 fiscal year. Ms. Daley seconded. Motion passed by unanimous voice vote.
Approval To Accept Officers As Presented: A motion was made by Ms. Daley to accept the slate of Officers for the Springdale Cemetery Management Authority for the 2017/2018 fiscal year as presented. Mr. Ryan seconded. Motion passed by unanimous voice vote.
Public Comment: Pat Lewis, 11039 N. Tall Oaks Lane, Peoria, IL, made various comments.
Executive Session: None.
Motion To Adjourn: Motion was made by Mr. Madison to adjourn the regular meeting. Ms. Daley seconded. Motion passed by unanimous voice vote.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:20 pm.