City of Belleville Historic Preservation Commission met June 18
City of Belleville Historic Preservation Commission met June 18.
Here is the minutes provided by the commission:
Molly McKenzie, Chairperson
Ashley Pollock, Vice Chairperson
Nichole Hettenhausen, Member
Tony Toenjes, Secretary
Jack LeChien, Member
Linda Weisenstein, Member
Keith Owens, Treasurer
Justin Dominique, Member
Joel Glasscock, Planner/City Liaison
Absent: All present
Donna McKelvey, 205 E. D St.
Rita Winkler, 404 Sycamore, New Beginnings Church
Mary Donjon, 404 Sycamore, New Beginnings Church
Megan Swett, 401 Mascoutah Ave.
Jay Swett, 401 Mascoutah Ave.
Call to order: 7:00pm
Joel Glasscock presented emergency procedures
Donna McKelvey: questioned code violations at 107 E. D. St., Mr. Glasscock recommended using the City report an issue or concern. This would then be in the hands of Housing and Code Enforcement.
Design Review Request
401 Mascoutah Ave. This DRR entails exterior tuckpointing and painting. A discussion was held on the softness of the brick and the correct tuckpointing material to be used. The Swett’s will be doing the work. Ms Pollock made a motion to accept the DRR, Ms Hettenhausen seconded the motion, all were in favor, motion carried.
404 Sycamore St. This DRR details exterior painting, concrete repair on the front entrance area, outbuilding painting and repair of the parking lot. Also the signage was explained. Mr. LeChien made a motion to accept the DRR with an amendment to paint the outbuildings; this was seconded by Mr. Owens, all in favor, motion plus amendment carried.
1. Chairperson Report: Ms. McKenzie had no report. Ms Hettenhausen brought to Chairperson’s attention that the house at 127 N. Douglas has sold and a letter will be sent to the new owner.
2. Secretary Report: Minutes from the May 21, 2019 were reviewed. Some minor changes were made. Mr. Dominique made a motion to accept, second by Ms. Weisenstein, all in favor, the motion carried.
3. Treasurer’s Report: Starting balance $3131.20 in savings. The BPC will have a bill for the West Belleville signage of approximately $350. Motion to accept Mr. Toenjes, second Ms. Hettenhausen, all in favor motion carried.
1. Historic Preservation Commission By-Laws. A discussion started with the amendments made to the 1995 By-Laws. The BHPC will consist of 9 members. A question of the responsibility of the Chairman after the 2-year term. The Vice-Chairman would take on responsibilities of communication and marketing. The Treasurer would request from the City Financial Officer disbursements and monthly updates. A discussion was held on special meetings and a public notice if that was to happen. This would be the case if properties were annexed in a district. These changes will have to be approved by City Council.
2. DIY Workshops. Mr. Owens led this discussion and stated 14 people came to the tuckpointing workshop and 13 for the window-glazing workshop. This was held on June 1,2019 for Museum Days. A suggestion for next year is for window restringing.
3. Historic District Signage. Mr. Owens discussed the approximate cost per district, ($150); these would be placed at the entrances to the districts. Mr. Owens will follow up with the sign maker, sign guidelines placement and cost.
4. Design Guideline Manual. Ms. Owens no report on this topic.
5. Miscellaneous Discussions. The election for Officers of the BHPC will be after the By-Laws are finished. Fundraiser for the Ghost Tour, St. Clair Historical Society will be to have T-Shirts made for the event. Terry Maddox from the BND will be writing 3-4 articles in the Metro-East Living promoting living and wanting to live in a Historical District.
Keith Owens motion, Linda Weisenstein second, all in favor, adjourn 8:18 pm