Fieldcrest Community Unit School District 6 Board met December 3
Fieldcrest Community Unit School District 6 Board met Dec. 3.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
The Board Meeting of the Fieldcrest CUSD No. 6 was called to order at 6:31 pm by President, Joe Kirkpatrick. Meeting location: Fieldcrest High School, Cafeteria.
Roll Call was as follows: Bernardi, present; Hillenburg, present; Kirkpatrick, present; Lohr, present;
McKay, present; McNamara, present; Palm, present.
Open Meeting: The following is “Open Meeting” meeting minutes.
The meeting type: Special.
Meeting Location: FHS Cafeteria.
Called to order: Open session called to order at 6:31 pm by President, Joe Kirkpatrick.
3.0 Public Communications to the Board:
Comments: Jim Liner
- Facts and figures are from the Board’s website. $14 million for Middle School and $11 million for High School from Farnsworth for schools.
- The projected cost of the Intermediate School reflected repairs were cheaper than projected by Farnsworth.
- The most economical plan would be to repair the High School and demolish the Middle School per Farnsworth’s projections.
- Line items 97, 98, and other lines were shared as examples.
- This plan will save money, but Wenona would lose money.
- It is not a win-win situation.
- Prices were inflated.
- Why is asbestos removal so high?
- New construction numbers were high.
- Take your time and get some correct numbers and information.
- Wenona repairs and needed construction was staged.
- Screws removed, boards under pipes.
- The reports were not correct.
4.0 Discussion of Middle and High School Building Issues:
Comments: Charles Lohr
- 120 some days left for some board members left, so we should not weigh the new board with these decisions. The new board will take their time and make a decision. The communities each want a school and the new board will keep that in mind and carry that through.
- Came to the meetings before a member and buildings were a topic. This board needs to be responsible and make decisions instead of burdening new board members with the decision.
- New board can make the decision when we joined in 2017. This board has the information and needs to make this decision. There will always be a new board every two years so we need to decide and not put it off any longer.
- A decision needs to be make with this board. This board has the knowledge and can make the decision.
- This board needs to make a decision. I trust the numbers and trust who provided the numbers.
- We need to make a decision. All four (4) schools need to be looked at and student enrollment needs to be considered.
- I haven’t changed my mind for three (3) years. Whenever a new board comes on, we want to save money so we start looking at the buildings. I’m not going to tell you fantasies like someone told you in the past. Four (4) buildings are not efficient. There should be one (1) school centrally located in the school district.
- It is an opinion that the new board won’t take action. We need to get new numbers from an engineering firm.
- Do nothing to current schools.
- I am in favor of one building for 7 – 12.
- In favor of 7 – 12 building in the center of the district, but location would have to be south due to services. Grades could be removed and added to other schools.
- Regarding shutting a building: apprehensive as utilizing a classroom for 1 x 1 or space for students that need dedicated time. We may need this space in the future.
- A very wise woman told them that if bonds are sold, then taxes will go up.
All of us will pay for it.
- We own property in Wenona, build in Wenona to house 6 – 12 school.
Minonk has two (2) buildings. Based on information from the public, this is the best solution. Or do repairs on both schools.
- Keep a building in each town. Look at student enrollment and consider a hybrid for High School. Closing Middle School won’t solve anything.
Referendum won’t solve anything. Action on Life / Health / Safety work needs done now.
- Centrally located High School and possibly 7 – 12.
Five members want to move forward with building a new High School.
5.0 Action Items
5.1 Approve Board Direction
Motion: No motion.
Comments: Charles explained how he went to the Middle School to see a $25,000 leak and contacted a construction manager.
9.0 Adjourn: Motion by McNamara second by Bernardi to move that the Board adjourn the special meeting held December 3, 2018 at 8:53 pm.
Roll Call: All Ayes. Nay 0.