Village of Swansea Board of Trustees met Nov. 4.
Here is the minutes provided by the board:
Attendees: Board President Leopold, Trustees Lanter, McDonald, McGuire, Neumeyer, Parker, & Wells, Treasurer John Walter, Police Department (PD) Chief Steven Johnson, PD Deputy Chief effective at the beginning of the year Matthew Blomburg, Fire Department (FD) Chief Chris Tell, Director of Public Works Rick Tucker, Building and Zoning (B&Z) Director Dallas Alley, Administrator Benjamin Schloesser, Clerk Lauren O'Neill, other community members.
Motions: Trustees are presented with the individual that made the motion, followed by the person seconding the motion. Votes: Unless noted otherwise, votes are obtained by voice vote (roll call vote involves each voter stating their name and vote) and all votes are aye. Content of meeting is presented within the marks “***”.
I) Call To Order
II) Pledge Allegiance To The Flag III) Roll Call
IV) Approval Of Minutes - Motions were made by Wells, Lanter to accept the minutes outlined below.
1. Board Minutes - October 21, 2019
2. Committee Minutes – October 21, 2019
V) Acceptance Of Minutes Of Advisory Boards/Place On File - Motions were made by Wells, Lanter to accept the minutes outlined below.
1. Park Board Minutes – September 14, 20119
VI) Mayor’s Announcements/Correspondence - None
VII) Village Attorney/Village Administrator-Announcements/Comments - None VIII) Public Comment - None
IX) Report Of Committees
A) Personnel Committee – Comments
1. Sexual Harassment Training – Appreciation for the training and leadership/trainer were noted. 2. Director Of Public Works Job Description – No comments.
B) Judiciary Committee – Comments
1. Ord. No. 1871 - An Ordinance Amending The Municipal Code For The Village Of Swansea By The Addition Of Chapter 117 Imposing A Municipal Cannabis Retailers’ Occupation Tax Motion to read by title – Wells, Lanter.
Motion to accept (roll call) – Wells, Lanter.
2. Ord. No. 1872 - An Ordinance Creating Chapter 116 of The Swansea Municipal Code Regarding The Production,
Distribution, And Use Of Medical And Adult Use Cannabis - Motion to read by title – Wells, Lanter. Motion to accept the ordinance amended such that revenues from the medical/adult use of cannabis will support PD/FD pensions. Respectively 20% and 5%, and the remaining 75% will go to the general fund and be addressed more specifically as to use/benefits at budget time (roll call) – Wells, Lanter. Discussion of the ordinance centered on the proposed accounting/allocation of revenues from the medical/adult use of cannabis. Some trustees suggested the revenues should benefit pensions and the general fund, with the budget and the Swansea Report/website informing taxpayers as to how the funds will benefit the Village. Others wanted the use of revenues to be completely defined and not rely on the budget to inform taxpayers of how the revenues will be used. There was concern that too much detail in the ordinance would require ordinance changes, which can be costly to the Village.
3. Discussion Item Updates To Code Of Ordinances Book – no comments.
C) Finance Committee Report – Comments
1. Approval of Bills - Motion to approve the $1,173,590.07 total bills for the period 10/122/19 – 11/4/19 and pay the bills from proper accounts (roll call vote) – McGuire, Neumeyer. It was noted that the bills this period have significant amounts associated with Sewer and Fire House payments.
2. Res No. 1-2315 - A Resolution Accepting The Proposal Of The Illinois Municipal League Risk Management Association, 500 East Capital Drive, Po Box 5180, Springfield, Illinois, 62705 For Workers Comp, Auto Liability & Comprehensive General Liability, Portable Equipment, Auto Physical Damage, And Property Insurance Coverage For The Village Of Swansea, Illinois, Effective January 1, 2020 - Motion to read by title – Lanter, Wells. Motion to accept (roll call) – Lanter, Wells. With the early or prompt payment discount of about 1% the payment will be $174,766.31.
D) Community & Economic Development – Comments
1. Findings of Facts Planned Business Submittal 1201 N. Illinois St. – Motion to accept and place the item on file - McGuire, Neumeyer.
2. Res No. 1-2316 - A Resolution Approving The Planned Business Submittal For 1201 North Illinois Street In Accordance With The Zoning Regulations Of The Village Of Swansea - Motion to read by title – McDonald, Wells. Motion to accept (roll call) – Wells, Lanter. Egress and ingress needs will be met in accordance with and at the discretion of the Swansea Zoning Administration.
3. Res No. 1-2317 - A Resolution Accepting The Proposal From TWM, Inc., 4940 Old Collinsville Road Swansea, Il 62226, In An Amount Not To Exceed $7,500.00, For Professional Services Including A Topographic Survey Of Swansea Clinton Hills Conservation Park - Motion to read by title – McDonald, Wells. Motion to accept (roll call) – Wells, Lanter.
4. Res No. 1-2318 - A Resolution Authorizing The President Of The Board Of Trustees To Execute An Agreement Authorizing A Reimbursement Grant Of $198,000.00 From The Illinois Rte. 159/Boul Avenue Business District Fund To Classic Auto Body, Inc. For Site Improvements On The Property Located At 1421 North Illinois Street - Motion to read by title –McDonald, Lanter. Motion to accept (roll call) – Wells, Lanter.
5. Discussion Item Erb Equipment Sales Tax – No comment.
E) Public Safety Committee – Comments
1. Draft Ord. No. 1873 - An Ordinance Declaring Personal Property Owned By The Village Of Swansea As Surplus, Specifically, A 1990 Pierce Arrow Pumper Truck, Vin 4p1cad1e9la000671, And An Eagle Breathing Air Compressor, Model# Bap10k123085, Serial# 93870, And Authorizing Them To Be Sold By Staff - Motion to read by title – Parker, Lanter. Motion to accept (roll call) – Neumeyer, McGuire. It was reviewed that this item was being addressed as an emergency, with the introduction of the draft and the Board vote on the same evening.
Public Works Committee – No Comments
1. Discussion Item – Removal Of Apron From Llewellyn Road
2. Discussion Item -- STP and CMAQ Grant Funding
3. Discussion item – St. Clair County Park Grant
4. Payment Method for 2 Ton Dump Truck*
Cultural Committee – No Comments
Swansea Report Committee – No Comments
X) Old Business – The Sewer Lawsuit is currently expected to proceed to trial, and the trial may begin as early as December 2019. Trustees were provided with an email from the Village Attorney.
XI) New Business – No comments.
XII) Announcements - PD Deputy Chief effective at the beginning of the year will be Matthew Blomburg. His experience, qualifications, and interest in the position were reviewed, and he was recognized as being highly capable and qualified for the position. PD Deputy Chief Craig Coughlin and Blomburg are cooperatively working together to allow for a smooth transition. It was noted that PD Deputy Chief Craig Coughlin will be missed when he retires, and his service and dedication to Swansea have been appreciated.
XIII) Adjournment - Motion by Neumeyer, McGuire.